Sencha Green Tea or a type of Japanese ryokucha is the most popular tea in Japan, representing about 80 percent of the tea produced in the country. It has a very light, grassy or seaweed like flavor but that can vary depending on what time of year the tea is harvested and the steep time you are using. The first picking of the year tends to be the lightest with the most nutrients…making sencha harder to find when we move into the winter months.
After harvesting, the Sencha green tea is first steamed for between 15–20 seconds to prevent oxidization of the leaves. Then, the leaves are rolled, shaped, and dried. This step creates the customary thin cylindrical shape of the tea.
This is the base for many of our blended green teas because it is not overpowering and take over the other flavors of what it is paired with. You will find that we pair this tea with peach, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and mango. It is a great starting point if a light green tea is wanted before moving into something more astringent.
- Leaves can be infused twice (Double the tea for same price!)
- Smooth and Grassy – Dark Colour Cup of Tea
- Full of natural antioxidants and EGCG – Fat Burner
- Sample Size ~ 1 oz will make 10-12 16 oz teas
- Sealed Tin ~ 4 oz will make 40-50 16 oz teas
- Iced Tea ~ Always Double the amount of Tea for the same size of cup!
- Per Serving ~ 1/2 tsp per 6 oz of H2O
- Caffeine: Medium
Ingredients: Organic and Wildcrafted Japanese Fukuiju Sencha.